VIDEO: Letchworth teenager named Young Drummer of the Year 2014
- Credit: Archant
A 15-year-old boy has been named Young Drummer of the Year for 2014.
Morgan Simpson, of Spencer Way in Letchworth GC, was declared the winner of the national competition after going up against nine other finalists earlier this month.
It was Morgan’s third appearance in the drumming competition – open to those aged under 16 – having first entered at the age of 12 in 2011.
Each finalist performing at the Royal Spa Centre in Leamington Spa had to play a two-minute solo, followed by a song with a bass and guitar backing track which drummers received three weeks prior to the finals.
The final piece of music with a live guitarist accompanying them on stage was introduced on the day, before a judging panel picked Morgan as the winner.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a surreal experience winning the competition,” said Morgan, who attends The Priory School in Hitchin. I had more experience and I was much more composed on the day compared to previous years. I am doing my music GCSE at the moment and I am really enjoying it. My advice to everyone would be to practice, practice and practice!”
Morgan’s father Kevin added: “I’m extremely proud of Morgan. All our family are musicians, my wife Elaine is a singer and my daughter Lauren plays the bass, while I play the guitar and the bass.”
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 5 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
The teenager has since become a regular fixture at Hitchin world music festival Rhythms of the World and also plays at pubs, functions and charity events.
Morgan now wants to establish himself as the country’s best session drummer, as well as taking up keyboard and bass guitar.
To see a video of Morgan in action visit www.thecomet24.co.uk