Video: Glorious sunshine at Ickwell May Day Festival
GLORIOUS sunshine bathed the village green at Ickwell for the traditional May Day Festival on Monday. A May Queen has been crowned at the festival every year since it started in 1894 with the ribbon dancing around a maypole on the green going back to 1872
GLORIOUS sunshine bathed the village green at Ickwell for the traditional May Day Festival on Monday.
A May Queen has been crowned at the festival every year since it started in 1894 with the ribbon dancing around a maypole on the green going back to 1872.
This year the crown of spring flowers was placed on the head of 2008 May Queen Rosie Salliss, 12, by retiring queen Amy Cox.
"This year's event went extremely well," said Rene Welch, chairman of the festival.
"In the brilliant sunshine the atmosphere was wonderful and the village green was packed with people sitting on the grass enjoying the occasion."
The money raised helps with the cost of perpetuating the event with the older children taking part being treated to swimming at the Oasis Pool, Bedford, and the younger ones being given a party at Caldecote Village Hall.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 5 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 6 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 7 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 10 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe