Video & Gallery: Stevenage Day 2009
THE sun shone down on the thousands of people who turned out for what may have been the last ever Stevenage Day. On Sunday, about 30,000 people were at the King George V Playing Fields for the 50th annual event, which included demonstrations from the Esse
THE sun shone down on the thousands of people who turned out for what may have been the last ever Stevenage Day.
On Sunday, about 30,000 people were at the King George V Playing Fields for the 50th annual event, which included demonstrations from the Essex Dog Display Team, UK FMX Freestyle Motorcycle Stunt Team, and Dingle Fingle's Clown Town Crime Watch.
Organiser John Wells said: "It was a really great day - It was the family day it was supposed to be.
"There wasn't any trouble, just people enjoying themselves.
You may also want to watch:
"It's probably the best day we have had."
But he said it had been a struggle to raise the �30,000 needed to hold the event, and that there is a question mark over whether Stevenage Day will be held next year.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 4 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
"People think that Stevenage Borough Council funds it but the Stevenage Day Committee has to find sponsorship," he said.
"It was great and hopefully we can put it on next year.