Video & Gallery: Snow Continues to Cause Chaos in Comet country
HEAVY snow brought rush hour chaos right across Comet country this morning (Friday). The worst spots were the A505 between Luton and Hitchin around Offley, and the A1(M) between Letchworth Gate (J9) and Welwyn (J6), where traffic was reduced to a crawl. P
HEAVY snow brought rush hour chaos right across Comet country this morning (Friday).
The worst spots were the A505 between Luton and Hitchin around Offley, and the A1(M) between Letchworth Gate (J9) and Welwyn (J6), where traffic was reduced to a crawl.
Police say the A505 Baldock bypass has been closed, as has the A41 northbound from junction 20 of the M25.
Police are also advising motorists not to use the A10, due to a number of collisions which have occurred.
Trains are running but First Capital Connect is warning travellers to expect delays.
Arriva bus services have been suspended across Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire, and bus services run by Grant Palmer have also been suspended across Bedfordshire.
- 1 New date for Stevenage Marks & Spencer opening
- 2 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 3 Couple sentenced for theft and fraud after stealing from elderly victims
- 4 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 5 Bag a bargain for charity! £1.50 per kilo at air ambulance warehouse sale
- 6 Two boys arrested after police helicopter search
- 7 Seriously injured assault victim waited FOUR hours in ambulance outside Lister
- 8 Graffiti artist's NHS tribute in Stevenage underpass
- 9 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 10 Driver disqualified after admitting to drinking wine at the wheel
Stevenage Borough Council (SBC) has suspended refuse collections and will collect missed rounds on the same day next week. SBC is asking residents not to put out refuse and recycling until conditions improve.
All other SBC services are expected to be operating normally.
# A505 Upper Tilehouse Steet in Hitchin: Closed both ways between the B655 Pirton Road junction and the A5228 Hitchin Road junction because of snow.
# The B197 London Road Woolmer Green: Closed near the Bridge Road junction because of a jack-knived lorry.
# A1(M) Junction 9 Northbound: Stationary traffic due to a to a broken down lorry.
# A1 Junction 10 Northbound: Queueing traffic because of snow.
Schools across Comet country confirmed as closed today are:
Breechwood Green, Hitchin
Derwent Lower School, Henlow
Fairfield Park, Stotfold
Fearnhill, Letchworth GC
Gothic Mede, Arlesey
Henlow Middle School
Highfield, Letchworth GC
Icknield Infant & Nursery School, Letchworth GC
Icknield Walk, Letchworth GC
Lannock, Letchworth GC
Letchmore Infants, Stevenage
Leys Primary & Nursery, Stevenage
Lodge Farm, Stevenage
Mary Exton, Hitchin
Norton St Nicholas, Letchworth GC
Peartree Spring Jnr, Stevenage
Robert Bloomfield, Shefford
Round Diamond, Stevenage
Samuel Lucas, Hitchin
Samuel Whitbread Community College, Clifton
Shefford Lower School
Strathmore Infant and Nursery and Pre-School, Hitchin
Stonehill, Letchworth GC
St Johns , Baldock
St Mary's Junior School, Baldock
St Margaret Clitherow, Stevenage
St Nicholas, Stevenage
Thomas Alleyne, Stevenage
Trotts Hill, Stevenage
The Valley, Stevenage
Wilbury, Letchworth GC
Westbury Primary, Letchworth GC
Weston Way, Baldock