Video: BBC1 The Voice star helps London Marathon runner propose to girlfriend
ONE runner celebrated crossing the London Marathon finish line yesterday (Sunday) by proposing to his girlfriend.
Sean Penny, 25, from Arlesey, proposed to his girlfriend Gemma Austin, 25, after running the 26.2-mile course in 5:10, raising more than �3,000 for Make-a-Wish Foundation UK.
The proposal came after Jay Norton, star of BBC1 show The Voice, serenaded Gemma with one of his own songs, Forever.
Sean discovered Jay on YouTube before he hit television fame, and asked Jay via Twitter to help make his proposal extra special.
Make-a-Wish grants wishes to young people fighting life-threatening conditions. Sean ran with a photograph of his childhood best friend, Natalie Brooks, who was granted her wish in 2002.
You may also want to watch:
“Natalie returned to school the day after her London shopping trip wish and I remember how happy she was,” he said. “It made me so grateful to Make-A-Wish that I have always wanted to repay them for what they did.
“Sadly, at the age of just 16, Natalie lost her battle with cancer and left us in October 2003. This is my way of saying thank you to Make-A-Wish.”
- 1 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 2 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 3 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 4 Voyeur guilty of 13 offences at music festival
- 5 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
- 6 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 7 New plans for Kwik Fit site proposed
- 8 Dog walker's terror as swarm of wasps attack
- 9 New funding for social housing earmarked for independent living scheme
- 10 Triple murderer's prison transfer after torture concerns