VIDEO: Baldock student produces award-winning film with more than two million YouTube hits
- Credit: Archant
A film documentary about a disabled boy and his three-legged dog has been nominated for a national student award after receiving more than two million views on video sharing website YouTube.
The documentary, called ‘A Boy and His Dog’, was made by film students at the University of Hertfordshire and produced by Baldock resident David Gelmini.
It features eight-year-old Owen Howkins who suffers from Schwartz Jampel Syndrome – a rare genetic disorder that causes a number os symptons including muscle stiffness and joint deformity
The 10-minute film explores Owen’s relationship with Haatchi, a three-legged Anatolian Shepherd rescue dog who was adopted by Owen’s father Will.
Mr Gelmini, who attended The Knights Templar School in Baldock before going to university, said: “When we found the story of Owen and Haatchi online we thought it was so incredible that we simply had to make a film about it.
“As producer it was my job to ensure that everything happened as it was supposed to happen. Needless to say, everything turned out great.
“I hope that after watching the film people will come to realise what a difference dogs can make to people’s lives and the amazing joy that they can bring.”
- 1 Recap: Wire damage disrupts Hitchin and Peterborough trains
- 2 Residents show 'strong support' for TK Maxx relocation plans
- 3 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
- 4 11-year-old left with facial injuries after Stevenage dog attack
- 5 Ashbottom Close 'altercation' leaves man in his 20s with serious injuries
- 6 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 7 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 8 Captain uses his head but Stevenage make win over Rochdale harder than it should have been
- 9 Ford Focus and Vauxhall Insignia crash on A602 Stevenage Road
- 10 Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel until later due to 'incidents'
The film students picked up the ITV Award for Documentary at the University of Hertfordshire’s Visions Festival 2013 for A Boy and His Dog and have since been nominated for a Royal Television Society Student Award for the London region and shortlisted for the Screentest Fest Student Film Awards 2014.