Vets set for jungle trek
THREE members of staff at a veterinary surgery are set to trek through the jungle of Borneo to raise money for an animal charity and also help support a conservation project. The intrepid women from the Letchworth Veterinary Centre in Norton Way North wil
THREE members of staff at a veterinary surgery are set to trek through the jungle of Borneo to raise money for an animal charity and also help support a conservation project.
The intrepid women from the Letchworth Veterinary Centre in Norton Way North will be taking part in the Borneo Challenge in aid of the Blue Cross animal charity.
Veterinary surgeon Mhairi Fleming, 27, from Hitchin, Pauline Lottering, 45, of Wilbury Hills Road, Letchworth GC and Hayley Matthews, 21, of Campers Avenue, Letchworth GC, are hoping to raise �9,000 during their five-day jungle trek in October where they will also study a conservation projection involving orangutans.
"It will be an arduous trek but we are hoping a lot of people who use the surgery and our friends will support us," said Miss Matthews.
"The Blue Cross is a very worthwhile charity that cares for animals and this is a way of supporting them.
"Over the next few months we will be working very hard to get as much money as possible and we are all looking forward to the trip as all three of us are involved with animals in our daily jobs.
- 1 Have your say on TK Maxx plans to move store out of town centre
- 2 Sex offender avoids jail 'by skin of his teeth' after Hitchin assault
- 3 Former Stevenage swimmer 'buzzing' to compete in Commonwealth Games
- 4 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 7 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 8 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 9 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 10 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
"We will be raising money selling items for Blue Cross in the surgery here. This is a trip of a lifetime but we are also doing it for a good cause."
Among the money-raising events the trio have planned is a fun night at the Red Hart pub in Bucklersbury, Hitchin, on March 28 starting at 7.30pm when Luke Thompson of Ramerick Gardens, Arlesey, who is Hayley's fianc�, will have his legs AND bottom waxed!
A dog show is also planned at Graveley Fruit Farm on Bank Holiday Monday, May 25.
For more information about the trip, events and how you can support the women, contact Hayley at the veterinary centre on 01462 685882.