Vandals strike at market
VANDALS have wreaked havoc at a market, destroying stalls and spraying graffiti. Hitchin market has come under attack in recent weeks with yobs breaking up stalls and throwing them into the nearby River Hiz. It comes at a sensitive time for the market who
VANDALS have wreaked havoc at a market, destroying stalls and spraying graffiti.
Hitchin market has come under attack in recent weeks with yobs breaking up stalls and throwing them into the nearby River Hiz.
It comes at a sensitive time for the market whose future, which could see it being passed in to private hands, is still being considered.
Lance Raperport, market manager for North Hertfordshire District Council, confirmed that there had been a number of incidents of vandalism and graffiti at the market recently.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "This is only happening out of hours, but it costs us time and money to clear up and it is bad for the image of the market, which has recently been improving."
The council are seeking to work more closely with the police to resolve the problem.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 9 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
Cllr Ian Knighton, the portfolio holder responsible for markets, said: "We are determined to protect the interests of our stall holders and their customers. We will be giving the police all the help we can and I would appeal to anyone witnessing vandalism to contact the police straight away.