Van driver comes forward after police appeal in wake of Baldock woman’s horror A1(M) crash between Stevenage and Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
A van driver who may have witnessed a horror smash on the A1(M) between Letchworth and Stevenage has come forward to speak to police – but officers are still appealing for a second motorist to do the same.
Baldock gym teacher Chloë Ward, 22, needed plastic surgery after the shunt between Junction 9 and 8 at about 6.55am on Friday, April 29, sent her red Vauxhall Corsa crashing through a fence and into some trees.
Letchworth scaffolders Craig Dean, Gerry Fuller and Neil Stewart helped her from the wreckage moments before it went up in flames.
Police investigating the crash released a photo of a large white van with the words ‘Steve Beeby’ written on the sides and back on Friday in hope of tracing its driver.
PC Philip Watts said at the time: “I believe the driver of this van stopped on the hard shoulder immediately after the accident and may have witnessed what happened.”
You may also want to watch:
Officers have now confirmed that the van driver has since come forward.
PC Watts’ appeal also mentioned the driver of a silver Vauxhall Astra estate with a 53 registration number plate, which was travelling southbound at the time and continued on past Junction 8. That motorist is yet to get in touch with officers.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 3 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 4 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 5 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 6 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 9 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 10 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
Anyone with information should call PC Watts, who is investigating, on 101.