New bin contractor for North and East Herts announced
- Credit: Archant
The new waste contractor for North and East Hertfordshire has today been announced as the two authorities enter a joint contract.
Urbaser will be the new waste and street cleansing services contractor for North Herts District Council and East Herts Council, replacing Veolia.
NHDC says this new arrangement will help it make savings of around £1.9 million over the course of the seven-year contract. A more accurate figure for savings will be available once all the options of the contract have been decided.
Councillor Michael Weeks, the waste portfolio holder for NHDC, said: “We are pleased with the outcome of our procurement process.
“We are committed to providing residents with quality services and good value for their council tax, and look forward to working in partnership with Urbaser to achieve just that.
You may also want to watch:
“Like many councils, we have a reduced budget from central government, and we need to make savings of £4.2 million annually by 2021/22. This measure will go a long way towards helping us achieve this.”
Urbaser was awarded the seven-year contract – starting in May 2018 – after the district council learned that its budget from central government will be cut again in the financial year 2017/18.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 5 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 6 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 9 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 10 Misogyny as a hate crime 'would get us nowhere'
Urbaser is the third-largest environmental services provider in Europe, providing high-profile waste treatment, waste and recycling collection, street cleansing and grounds maintenance services.
NHDC says the new contract will mean a number of service improvements for local residents, including the collection of batteries alongside other kerbside recycling services.
Utilising GPS, mobile and wifi technology, new computers will support crews in the field with real-time messaging, reporting and event logging, enabling them to improve operational efficiencies, customer service and reduce unnecessary paperwork and administration.
Urbasear managing director Javier Peiro said: “We are incredibly proud to be selected as a long-term partner for both North Herts and East Herts district councils.
“We are excited by this opportunity to provide such important services to 280,000 residents and service users.
“Urbaser is committed to providing our clients with value for money and excellent service levels. We look forward to working with both councils.”