UPDATE: Stevenage wanted man arrested on suspicion of gunpoint kidnapping
- Credit: Archant
A man wanted on suspicion of kidnap has been arrested this afternoon (Tuesday), just minutes after being spotted by members of the Comet news team.
Amadur Rahman was arrested after the Mercedes A-class he was travelling in was pulled over by police on Lytton Way in Stevenage just after 2pm.
The 25-year-old – wanted in connection with an incident in Stevenage last Tuesday when an 18-year-old man is alleged to have been forced into a car and threatened with a handgun – was spotted by Comet staff minutes before, after going into the BP garage opposite our offices in Primett Road.
He had previously been seen by an off-duty police officer in Hitchin at about 1.45pm.
Mr Rahman is currently in police custody at Stevenage Police Station.
You may also want to watch:
A number of warrants were carried out on Thursday in Stevenage and Hitchin and five people have already been arrested and a number of weapons seized as part of an ongoing investigation into the incident, alleged to have occured in the Roebuck area of Stevenage at about 10.30am.
Ryan McElligott, 31, of Todds Green in Stevenage, has been charged with conspiracy to kidnap, possession of a firearm without a certificate, possession of an imitation firearm without a certificate, and possession of a firearm.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 6 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 7 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 8 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 9 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 10 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
Jason Harperstott, 25, of no fixed address, has been charged with kidnap, blackmail, possession of a controlled drug with intent to supply and having a firearm.
Both appeared at Hatfield Remand Court on Saturday and were remanded in custody.
A 19-year-old man, 36-year-old man and 22-year-old woman, all from Stevenage, have been arrested in connection with the investigation and are on police bail.
A spokesman for Hertfordshire Constabulary thanked the Comet for calling police about the matter.