UPDATE: Robbery attempt leaves sleepy village in shock
- Credit: Archant
Customers of a village store have spoken out following an attempted robbery at a post office.
The incident happened on Tuesday between 11.45am and 11.50am. Offenders walked into a grocery shop on High Street, Whitwell, and demanded that staff open the post office section of the store.
Staff refused to open the post office and the offenders left empty-handed.
The offenders, who had parked on the High Street, got into the dark blue vehicle and drove off in the direction of Codicote.
Betty Barber, who lives in the village at the Lime Tree House retirement flats and visits the store two or three times a week, said: “This store is my lifeline and it is terribly upsetting that this has happened, I am devastated for the owners. This is a sleepy village and you would not expect something like this to happen. God only knows what goes on in the minds of these people.”
You may also want to watch:
Another resident, who lives above the store with her two children but wished to remain anonymous, said: “I wasn’t at home when it happened but it is scary and frightening. I have lived here for two years and this has never happened during the time I have lived here.”
Another customer, who visits the store on regular basis, said: “This is the first time I have heard anything like this to happen. I don’t live in the village but have been coming here for the past 17 years. You would not expect it here, maybe in a place like Luton, but certainly not here.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 6 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
The owners of the store declined to comment when contacted by the Comet.
The first offender is described as a white male, 6ft to 6ft 2in tall and of slight build. He was clean shaven and had dark brown hair.
The second offender is described as a white male, 5ft 8in to 6ft tall and of stocky build. He was wearing a grey hooded top and holding a baseball bat.
Anyone with information about the incident should contact police on the non-emergency number 101 quoting crime reference G1/13/2461. Alternatively, call Crimestoppers, the independent charity, anonymously on 0800 555 111.