UPDATE: Letchworth sex offender given additional one-year prison sentence
- Credit: Archant
A convicted paedophile who committed 11 sexual assaults on boys has had an extra year added to his sentence after fleeing the country.
Michael McCartney, formerly of Sollershott Hall in Letchworth GC, was sentenced to nine years in prison after appearing at Cambridge Crown Court today (Monday) – less than two weeks after being arrested in Spain.
After being found guilty of a string of sexual assualt charges in March, McCartney became a wanted man after failing to attend his sentencing in April where he was given an eight-year jail term in his absence.
An appeal to trace him was put out for the 78-year-old on November 14, and McCartney was arrested in Alicante in Spain within 12 hours.
McCartney had previously been found guilty of nine indecent assaults, one count of indecency with a child and one count of causing a child to engage in sexual activity.
You may also want to watch:
The assaults were all on three boys under the age of 16, and took place in Letchworth GC between 1989 and 2006.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Two jailed for conspiracy to supply cocaine