UPDATE: Family escapes blaze at their home in Fairfield Park
- Credit: Archant
A FAMILY escaped a blaze at their home this morning (Wednesday), which later caused their garage to collapse.
Fire crews were called to Bronte Avenue, Fairfield Park, at 6.25am where a double garage and two vehicles were alight.
Crews from Baldock and Biggleswade attended the scene, with the fire out just over an hour later.
Speaking about the fire which hit his house, Richard Clarke said: “Just gone 6am this morning my seven-year-old daughter Leah came in and said that the garage was on fire. But just before this I had been woken up by a big bang. When I went and checked the garage was well alight.”
Mr Clarke got his wife Natalie and daughter out of the house and went out to rescue his dogs kennelled at the back of the garage.
He said: “By this time the kitchen was full of smoke. Although the garage is not attached it is only about 10 yards away. It has now totally collapsed, damaging my neighbour’s as it is a double garage.
“Both my van and my neighbour’s vehicle caught alight and we were worried that they were going to explode.
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 3 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 4 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 5 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 6 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
“My daughter’s just had her seventh birthday and she had a new bike inside the garage so we have had to replace this.”
Mr Clarke said the support from the neighbours had been amazing.
“Everyone was really kind. But you think this is the thing that happens to other people, not you.”
A fire service spokesman said: “At this time the cause of the blaze is not believed to be suspicious.”