“Unbelievable and totally unacceptable” – Police spell out message to arsonists who burnt down playground equipment in the village of Watton-at-Stone last night
- Credit: Archant
Playground equipment has been deliberately set on fire in the village of Watton-at-Stone near Stevenage.
Fire crews from Stevenage were sent to School Lane in the village shortly after 11:15pm after receiving seven calls from members of the public saying swings had been set alight.
Forensic officers are currently at the scene trying to determine the cause of the blaze.
The East Herts rural policing team tweeted this morning: “Can anyone tell us why burning down equipment for the community is good fun?
“Seriously this is unbelievable and totally unacceptable.”
You may also want to watch:
Resident Karen Lee posted a picture of the fire and tweeted: “This was very frightening and sad to see, I hope you catch whoever did this!”
At 5.46am this morning, fire crews were also called to Primett Road in Stevenage to a car on fire. Two hoses were use to put out the blaze but it is believed to have been started deliberately.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 8 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 9 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 10 Nobel School celebrates 60 years