UKIP’s Hitchin choice: ‘We can win here, but as for breastfeeding...’
- Credit: Archant
The self-made businessman and veteran charity fundraiser who is standing as the UKIP candidate for Hitchin in next year’s General Election believes he can take long-standing MP Peter Lilley’s seat – but confesses that he’s uncomfortable with women breastfeeding in public.
Prospective parliamentary candidate John Stocker, who has lived in the constituency for more than 30 years, said: “The latest poll shows UKIP with 16 per cent of the vote.
“Mr Lilley should be worried about the erosion of his Conservative vote. Labour and the Lib Dems should be very worried.
“There’s a good chance we can win the seat. There’s a big surge for UKIP which has been underestimated.”
UKIP leader Nigel Farage has been hitting the headlines this week after his comments on breastfeeding in public, and other party figures have got into hot water because of their views on gay marriage.
You may also want to watch:
On the breastfeeding issue Mr Stocker said: “I feel women should be aware they could make other people feel uncomfortable, regardless of the rights and wrongs of it.
“If I was sitting in a public space and a young lady came in to breast feed her baby – which is a natural thing to do – I would certainly feel uncomfortable seeing a bare breast exposed, and I would prefer her to show just a bit of modesty. I think other people would feel uncomfortable, too – just as some people don’t.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
“If same sex marriages are law they should be allowed. I don’t have any strong feelings.”