Two-year wait for Stevenage pothole to be filled
- Credit: Archant
The manager of a day care centre for older people, who says she has been reporting a large pothole outside the premises for two years without result, believes action is finally being taken because the Comet stepped in.
Jackie Allen, the manager of the Douglas Drive Senior Citizens’ Association in Stevenage, says she has been reporting the issue to both Hertfordshire County Council (HCC) and Stevenage Borough Council (SBC) for two years.
“In that time we’ve had two bouts of snow and it’s made the hole bigger. It’s really deep,” she said.
“They keep saying they will do it and you don’t hear anymore.
“People in the dark could hurt themselves if they don’t know it’s there.”
You may also want to watch:
She is also concerned for the elderly who visit the centre – at least 20 daily – as well as the volunteers, some of whom are elderly and frail themselves.
“It’s an accident waiting to happen,” she warned. “It’s right in the middle of where transport drops people off. If you get a wheelchair caught in it you can’t push it out.”
- 1 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 2 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 3 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
She continued: “They don’t seem to want to mend it and I don’t know why. I know it all comes down to money at the end of the day, but it’s a health and safety issue.”
A spokesman for SBC said: “We haven’t got any record of her contacing us to complain. It is our responsiblity to have it fixed because it’s outside some garages. We have been trying to contact her since [The Comet] called us on Monday.”
Ms Allen said: “I’ve had the runaround. I’m not the only one who has complained, and they have even been out and circled it in the past. I think it’s because you got involved that they are doing something.
“Their inspector came out on Tuesday. They are waiting for the costing to give it the go ahead. What if it costs too much? Does it not get filled?”