Two-year-old hailed 'hero' after saving mother's life
A TWO-YEAR-OLD boy is being hailed a little hero after saving his mother s life. Claire Coombes, of Ascot Crescent in Stevenage, was speaking to her friend and neighbour, Karen Johnson, on the phone on Friday when she suddenly went quiet. Karen, 34, cou
A TWO-YEAR-OLD boy is being hailed a "little hero" after saving his mother's life.
Claire Coombes, of Ascot Crescent in Stevenage, was speaking to her friend and neighbour, Karen Johnson, on the phone on Friday when she suddenly went quiet.
Karen, 34, could hear Claire, also 34, struggling to breath and making strange, strangling noises.
She told her sister, Michelle Wincklass, who was visiting her, and called an ambulance.
You may also want to watch:
Michelle, 31, of St Albans Drive in Stevenage, said: "I ran across the road and was calling Claire. Her door was locked, but the window was ajar.
"I called to her son, Matthew, and he came out of the lounge."
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 8 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 9 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
Michelle asked Matthew where the front door keys were, but he said he didn't know. He went into the kitchen, searching.
Eventually he found them on top of a work surface, and could only just reach them. He handed them to Michelle, through the window.
"Claire was in the kitchen, face down on the floor," said Michelle. "She had a bleeding nose and a black eye. She didn't know who I was.
"I got her into the lounge before the paramedics came to the door and took over."
Claire has epilepsy, but had not had a seizure for nine years. Last week, she caught chicken pox from her son. She explained: "When an adult has chicken pox it can cause convulsions. I had no warnings and it was a massive shock. It was quite scary."
Claire was treated by paramedics at her home.
She said: "I can't even begin to describe how I feel about Matthew's actions. He's a little hero, and he wasn't phased by any of it."
Gary Sanderson, spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service, yesterday (Wednesday) presented Matthew with a Certificate of Achievement and a Trauma Ted, in recognition of his actions.
Mr Sanderson said: "Matthew did really well to pass the keys through the window. His actions no doubt saved his mum's life, because we needed to get into the house quickly.