Two men jailed for total of 38 years in connection with Hitchin teen murder

Waqar Younis has been found guilty of murder

Waqar Younis has been found guilty of murder - Credit: Archant

Two men have been sentenced to a total of 38 years in prison today (Wednesday) for their involvement in the death of a teenager.

Paul Lynham was found guilty of manslaughter

Paul Lynham was found guilty of manslaughter - Credit: Archant

Waqar Younis, 19, and Paul Lynam, 18, both from Luton, have been on trial charged with murdering 19-year-old Micah Urquhart, who grew up in Hitchin and attended The John Henry Newman School in Stevenage.

Micah Urquhart

Micah Urquhart - Credit: Archant

The jury found Younis guilty of his murder on Tuesday, and he was today given a 28-year jail term.

The jury found Lynam not guilty of murder but guilty of manslaughter, with the judge sentencing him to 10 years in prison.

Mr Urquhart died from stab wounds after being found in his flat in Hastings Street, Luton, by a member of the public in the early hours of September 13 last year.

You may also want to watch:

The trial into his murder began at Luton Crown Court on March 5 during which the jury heard how Mr Urquhart had been moved into his by social workers to help him “integrate” but it had become a “haunt” for anti-social visitors, including the two youths accused of his murder.

It was also alleged that the two defendants had taken over the flat and were using it as a base to sell drugs.

Most Read

Younis, of Queens Close, initially denied the killing and said that that the first he knew of Mr Urquhart’s death was when he saw a news report on television.

He also said that Mr Urquhart had been responsible for smashing windows at his family’s home in Luton as a result of bad feeling between them because of a tackle he had made on him when they were playing football.

Younis denied he had gone round to Micah’s flat in Hastings Street to “take matters in hand”.

When Lynam, of Midland Road, gave evidence he admitted scuffling with Mr Urquhart but said he had been “shocked” when his co-defendant delivered the fatal stab wounds. Lynam also denied using the victim’s flat as the headquarters for his drug dealing.

Detective Inspector Fraser Wylie, from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit, said: “While today’s verdict is a pleasing one, we must take time to remember that a young life has been cruelly cut short by the actions of these individuals.

“This case represents a tragedy for the family of Micah. His family and friends have been devastated by his untimely death. I would like to pay tribute to Micah’s family for their wholehearted support of this investigation and the dignity they have displayed while hearing the horrific details of how Micah was killed. I would also like to thank the witnesses, who came forward and gave evidence in very difficult circumstances.

“We know that nothing will bring Micah back to his family and friends, but we hope that today’s convictions and sentences bring them at least a small sense that justice has been done. Our thoughts are very much with them all at this time.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter