Two in three Stevenage adults are obese, according to public health profile
- Credit: Archant
One in four adults in Stevenage are inactive, two in three are obese, one in three children are obese, one in four smoke and one in four adults experience poor mental health and wellbeing.
These trends are evident in the latest statistics released by Public Health England.
The profile put together for the town shows that the health of people here is varied compared with the England average, and that there are some key areas of concern.
To help redress the balance, there will be a chance to join some fun fitness sessions and a mass workout and get some health advice at Stevenage Leisure Centre on Saturday.
Fitness guru Juanita Prescott – aka Mrs Moveit – will lead the sessions, which will show you how to do simple fun workout in your own home.
There will be a non-competitive multi-sports fun session for kids. and if you have a disability you can come try wheelchair basketball, boccia, inclusive dance and archery, or have a free trial on the Alter G anti-gravity treadmill and the FES bike.
You can also use the gym for a free session.
- 1 A-level results 2022: Schools in Stevenage and North Herts share successes
- 2 Body found in wooded area of Stevenage
- 3 Man 'assaulted' and hit by chair in Baldock service station
- 4 Residents show 'strong support' for TK Maxx relocation plans
- 5 Which Thameslink trains are running during the RMT strike?
- 6 Man allegedly assaulted and robbed woman in Stevenage park
- 7 Recap: Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel due to 'incidents'
- 8 'My mum was eligible for Covid-19 drugs - so why didn't she get them?'
- 9 Four Vauxhall cars stolen in North Herts
- 10 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
Stallholders from a variety of health and fitness-related organisations will be on hand to offer support and signposting.
The event runs from 10am to 2pm, and all are welcome to attend.
Support is available through the Healthy Hub Stevenage, which is situated in the Stevenage Arts and Leisure Centre and brings together organisations to help you to improve your physical and mental wellbeing.