Two charged following Hitchin bag-snatchings that left elderly lady in hospital
- Credit: Archant
Two people have been arrested and charged after two elderly ladies had their bags snatched in Hitchin on Wednesday – with one of the victims taken to hospital afterwards.
Gary Moran, 42, of Beechwood Road in Luton, and Kelly Sach, 28, of Hospital Road in Arlesey, were today charged with theft, attempted robbery, fraud and joint enterprise following the incidents in West Alley and Maxwell’s Path.
The attempted robbery is alleged to have happened at 3.40pm on Wednesday, when it was reported that a woman in her 70s was approached in West Alley by a bag-snatcher who tried to rip her bag off her.
The woman fell to the floor during the struggle, suffering face, hand and leg injuries.
The theft is alleged to have happened at 3.50pm the same day.
It was reported that a woman in her 60s was walking along Maxwell’s Path alongside her bicycle when someone approached from behind and stole her bag.
Police believe that someone else then used the woman’s bank card to make a payment.
- 1 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 2 Have your say on TK Maxx plans to move store out of town centre
- 3 Sex offender avoids jail 'by skin of his teeth' after Hitchin assault
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 6 Stevenage's own Lewis Hamilton grabs third in British GP
- 7 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 8 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 9 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 10 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
Detectives from the North Herts local crime unit and Operation Scorpion team arrested Mr Moran and Ms Sach yesterday.
They are set to appear at Hatfield Remand Court tomorrow, Saturday.