Two Baldock cats die from suspected antifreeze poisoning

18-month-old black and white cat Shola died three weeks ago from suspected antifreeze poisoning

18-month-old black and white cat Shola died three weeks ago from suspected antifreeze poisoning - Credit: Archant

Two cats have died from suspected antifreeze poisoning within weeks of each other.

Three-year-old tabby Oscar (right) died three weeks ago from suspected antifreeze poisoning

Three-year-old tabby Oscar (right) died three weeks ago from suspected antifreeze poisoning - Credit: Archant

The three-year-old tabby cat called Oscar and an 18-month-old black and white cat called Shola were both from the same house on Mansfield Road in Baldock and died within three weeks of each other.

On discovering they were ill their ownertook them to the vet who suspected antifreeze poisoning.

RSPCA inspector Stephen Reeves said: “These poor cats sound like they had a very painful and sudden death.

“Many people do not realise how lethal antifreeze can be for cats – it does not take very much of it to cause serious harm and leads to a lot of suffering.


You may also want to watch:


“We do not know where the antifreeze came from on this occasion, but would ask pet owners in the area to keep an eye on their pets and for the public to ensure any antifreeze is securely stored and out of the way of cats.”

Owner Sarah Doyle, 37, of Mansfield Road, said: “It is just devastating for us to lose both of them in such quick succession like this.

Most Read

“It was heartbreaking enough when we lost Shola. For it to happen again to Oscar so soon was more than we could bear.

“They were such lovely cats, really sweet souls. I urge everyone to be very careful – I would hate anyone to go through what we have.”

Signs of antifreeze poisoning include vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, seizures, difficulty breathing, increased thirst and urination. They can be seen from 30 minutes after a cat has taken the chemical though it can be two to three days before signs of kidney failure can be seen.

Anyone who suspects their cat has been poisoned should take it to a vet immediately and if possible a sample of what the cat has eaten or drunk.

Anyone with any information about suspected antifreeze poisonings or in need of advice should contact the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter