Two arrests over Hitchin ‘Zen’ and ‘82’ graffiti tags
- Credit: Archant
Officers investigating the huge number of ‘Zen’ and ‘82’ graffiti tags in and around Hitchin have made two arrests – and have identified two more people who could help their enquiries.
Sgt Stephen Oliphant confirmed the news during a presentation at last night’s meeting of North Herts District Council’s Hitchin committee, held at Westmill Community Centre.
The tags have been a major talking point in Hitchin for months, and the arrests prompted widespread joy when first reported on social media last night.
Police told the Comet this afternoon that the arrests were made when the Hitchin Safer Neighbourhood Team executed three warrants in late February.
Two Hitchin men – a 27-year-old and an 18-year-old – have been arrested on suspicion of criminal damage. They have been released under investigation while enquiries continue.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for the force added: “Two further people who could help us with our enquiries have been identified.”
The arrests come after police appealed for the public to help them identify the person behind the ‘Zen’ tags in late January, after the word began appearing in various colours all over the town.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
One Hitchin business owner, who preferred not to be named, told the Comet: “Our town is becoming a playground for these vandals.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.