Hitchin clothing store celebrates 25 years of trading ahead of makeover
- Credit: Archant
An independent Hitchin clothing retailer is celebrating its 25th anniversary on Friday, ahead of a makeover later this year.
Twistedfabric in The Arcade formed as Planet Clothing back in 1994, before being updated to its current name in 2015.
After a quarter-century of trading, changes are afoot at twistedfabric – as owner Rick Gaglio explained.
“We are taking a side step from the norm of retailing,” he said.
“We feel it’s the right time to move away from global brands, get back our independence which our customers are keen on, and to deliver a shopping experience.
You may also want to watch:
“We will be changing each season to work with more independent brands and companies that care for the little people.
“The store is having a mini makeover, with a specialised Denim Bar with refreshments to make shopping in our store more comfortable. There is always a personal service in the store.
- 1 Tributes paid to Arsenal fan who died of COVID-19 'caught at Euros final'
- 2 Police hunt wanted man in connection with assault and harassment
- 3 Rapist faces 'considerable custodial sentence' after guilty verdict
- 4 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 5 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 6 Topping out ceremony marks significant progress to new bus interchange
- 7 Aerial acrobatics show to be performed in the heart of Stevenage town centre
- 8 Fraudster to repay victim £87k more than decade after conviction
- 9 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 10 Primary school's Early Years team achieves award for quality standards
“We will also move more towards digital this year, giving our loyal customers access to view looks on all platforms.
“We are an independent family business, and believe The Arcade, with all the other independents in Hitchin, is the best place to talk and be part of a thriving community.”
Rick believes the changes are needed to survive in the current retail environment.
“Retail is changing fast and is currently in crisis.
“It’s very challenging with so much on offer and with competition from all areas.
“I have been in retail for more than 30 years and believe it is at breaking point.
“If you don’t change now you won’t survive.
“Customers need to know there being treated well and have the best possible service, and we have to give customers a reason to buy in the physical stores.
“Retail is heavily in a discount culture at the moment.
“I believe it will eventually be the downfall of plenty of retailers this year.
“We are seeing a brand every week go into administration because of over distribution and heavy discounting online.”
To celebrate turning 25, twistedfabric is set to host an invite-only party for customers, with a date to be confirmed.
For your invite, visited the store in Hitchin’s Arcade, or visit www.twistedfabric.co.uk to sign up to its newsletter.