Turner pleased with Boyd protege
The man who brought Boyd to Boro is delighted for his protégé. Former Boro boss Wayne Turner picked up the then 16-year-old after he was released by Premiership Charlton in September 2002. Although Turner (pictured left) only survived in the Boro hotseat
The man who brought Boyd to Boro is delighted for his protégé.
Former Boro boss Wayne Turner picked up the then 16-year-old after he was released by Premiership Charlton in September 2002.
Although Turner (pictured left) only survived in the Boro hotseat for a further four months, he has kept tabs on Boyd ever since.
Turner said: "I think it's fantastic business for Stevenage. They're selling someone for quarter of a million that cost them nothing.
You may also want to watch:
"George has come through the ranks and it's a big boost for the club and its Academy."
Turner continued: "I'm really pleased for George. He is so dedicated and was never fazed when he arrived. George is a great lad and a superb role model."
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
Turner has managerial experience at both clubs having been assistant at Posh before taking the Boro job.
He added: "George is going from a physical league to a physical league. Peterborough want to go up and are determined to get promoted.
"It's a good stepping stone for him and I think it's a great move. There's extra pressure on him as the new boy but he could thrive on it. Barry (Fry) loves attacking football and that will suit George down to the ground.