Tsunami school builds for the future
A SCHOOL in a tsunami-ravaged area of Sri Lanka is to get a brand new library thanks to a mayor s fundraising appeal. Shums Central College in Maruthamunai was one of 15 schools on Sri Lanka s east coast to be completely destroyed by the tsunami on Boxing
A SCHOOL in a tsunami-ravaged area of Sri Lanka is to get a brand new library thanks to a mayor's fundraising appeal.
Shums Central College in Maruthamunai was one of 15 schools on Sri Lanka's east coast to be completely destroyed by the tsunami on Boxing Day 2004.
The school was originally only 65 metres inland but has now been relocated two kilometres away.
As part of the rebuilding, it is set to receive a brand new library thanks to contributions made to the Mayor's Tsunami Appeal in Stevenage.
You may also want to watch:
The appeal was set up immediately after the disaster.
It has given £2,500 to the project so far and is about to donate another £2,500 to complete it.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
The library - which will be named Stevenage Library - will be the school's first permanent building and is due to be finished in July this year.
Current mayor Simon Speller said: "More than two years on and the effects of this terrible tragedy are still being felt by those who were lucky enough to survive.
"It is important that there is continued support for those affected and we intend to hold further fundraising events in future so we can help the people of Sri Lanka and Thailand as they rebuild their lives."
Despite the disaster, staff and students at Shums Central College have remained positive in the last two years and have seen five of their students accepted into medical school this year.
To make a donation, make your cheque payable to Stevenage Borough Council Appeals Account and send it to: Tsunami Appeal, c/o Assistant Chief Executive (Finance), Stevenage Borough Council, Daneshill House, Danestrete, Stevenage, SG1 1HN.