Trio join county’s force of special constables
- Credit: Archant
Three Comet country residents are among 24 new special constables to be recruited by Hertfordshire Constabulary.
The recruits – which include Emma Burch, 23, and 27-year-old Carl Webster who will be based in Stevenage, and 23-year-old Ben Davis, who will be stationed in Hitchin – underwent a rigorous selection process and a final exam before making the grade.
They have spent the past nine weekends learning the skills needed to become a special, covering topics including first aid, self-defence, traffic laws and legal powers and procedures
Over the next 12 months the recruits will continue their training before passing out as substantive special constables.
Special constables – who are not paid but receive expenses for volunteering – have full police powers, uniform and protective equipment and work alongside the regular force.
Chief inspector Carl Foster, who leads Hertfordshire Constabulary’s recruitment of special constables, said: “Special constables are an incredibly valuable resource to the constabulary. They receive training to ensure they can play their part, being involved in all types of policing such as tackling anti-social behaviour and public order patrols.
“Specials also have the opportunity to get involved in specialist operations such as Operation Sentinel – the county’s dedicated drive to keeping criminals out of Hertfordshire through automatic number plate recognition technology.”
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 6 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 7 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 10 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
To find out more visit www.herts.police.uk/specials