Tributes paid to up-and-coming Stevenage footballer who died in Cyprus swimming pool
- Credit: Archant
An up-and-coming footballer has died while holidaying abroad after drowning in a swimming pool allegedly filled with “syringes, condoms and cigarette butts”.
Savvakis Georgiou, a teenager on the books of Stevenage FC, died after falling into a swimming pool at the Kalypso Hotel in Cyprus on August 18.
The 18-year-old regularly visited Marriotts School as part of the club’s ‘elite development programme’.
It has been reported that Savvakis, who lived in Cheshunt, remained unnoticed at the bottom of the pool for up to 20 minutes while people continued to party around him.
A statement released by his family on social networking site Facebook said: “On behalf of Savvakis Alexandros Georgiou’s parents, Elbida and George, I would like to make everyone aware of the tragic death of their son, who lost his life on Monday, August 18, between 7-8am, leaving behind his brothers Andronico and Stefano.
You may also want to watch:
“Savvakis lost consciousness after slipping into the algae-ridden swimming pool which was filled with syringes, condoms and cigarette butts.
“This resulted in his body not being visible for approximately 20 minutes, which inevitably led to him drowning.”
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 6 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 7 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
The owners of the hotel, a father and son, are reported to have been arrested by Cypriot police on suspicion of not holding the proper pool permits. It is believed they have since been released without charge.
A Facebook group has been set up in Savvakis’ memory.
His aunt, Maria Georgiou, wrote: “I am still in shock, disbelief and denial.
“Savvakis is in my thoughts with loving memories that bring a smile to my face at this very sad time. Rest in peace, my crazy, quirky, loving and happy nephew.”
Friend Jordan Bell said: “Sav, I don’t know where to start, bro. I know for a fact that for me and the boys, the news hasn’t really sunk in yet. We’ve all cried but not really accepted it. Some days are worse than others and it’s hard for everyone to be positive.
“Just make sure you sleep well, mate, because once the rest of us arrive up there, there will be no time to rest. Goodnight, bro, god bless.”