Tributes paid to Stevenage filmmaker at annual showcase
- Credit: Archant
A showcase of a town’s multi-cultural talent was held at the weekend on a night when tributes were paid to an award-winning filmmaker.
Celebrate!!! – an annual concert organised by Stevenage World Forum – took place at the Gordon Craig Theatre in Stevenage on Saturday.
The night included an appearance from Britain’s Got Talent finalist and Stevenage resident Gabz Gardiner, who performed her hit single Lighters (The One) and new song Lie There, which is due to be released this Sunday.
The Campbell Younge award, a prize given to individuals deemed to have made a significant contribution to the community, was awarded posthumously to Stevenage filmmaker Mark Straker, who died suddenly on October 17.
His brothers Nigel and Leroy collected the award, which Mr Straker had been given twice before.
You may also want to watch:
Kate Belinis, chairman of Stevenage World Forum, said: “Once again it was a very successful evening which highlighted the great talent and cultural diversity which we have here in Stevenage. I am particularly pleased that Gabz was able to come and perform to her home crowd.
“While there was plenty to celebrate on Saturday, the event was also a chance to pay tribute to the life and work of Mark Straker. Mark stood as a beacon, lighting the way to tolerance, acceptance and respect for one another. He enriched the lives of those he touched through his work in the local community. “His legacy will continue to live in the memories and work of those who were privileged to know him.”
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 8 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
Anyone interested in being involved in next year’s Celebrate!!! should email firstname.lastname@example.org