Tributes left to remember Letchworth fire victim
FLOWERS have been gathering outside a Letchworth block of flats after a man died in a fire this week.
Tributes to Barry Collings, of Bittern Way in Letchworth GC, have been left in memory of the 53-year-old who died after a fire broke out in his first floor flat just after midnight on Tuesday.
Friends of Mr Collings, who was known to many by the nickname of 'Scooter', have also being paying tribute on social network site Facebook.
Ann Lawson posted: "I am so sad tonight one of our best friends has died and I really can't believe it. We are going to miss him."
Another friend, Tracey Walton, posted: "I will say a prayer for you tonight Barry rest in peace xxx".
'Jayney' left a comment on The Comet's website which said: "I live very close by and knew the man who sadly died.
"My thoughts are with the family, I am in total shock."
- 1 'Grave concerns' over survival of hospitality businesses amid rising costs
- 2 Letchworth man found with 'cannabis and bread knife' in Hitchin
- 3 Scoring late makes it feel better than it is says Evans after Boro's late draw
- 4 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 5 Parents rally as play café forced to close amid major cost increases
- 6 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 7 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 8 Rose: 'Five subs mean it is more a team thing and we've utilised that'
- 9 National award for Hitchin property company
- 10 Vulnerable woman is victim of alleged theft in Hitchin
The cause of the fire at the six-storey block of flats on the Grange estate is still being investigated but the incident is not being treated as suspicious.