Tribute to school governor
A WELL-LOVED school governor who touched the lives of many people has died. Friends and family attended the funeral of Anita Newman who died aged 59 on February 3 after a three-year battle with cancer. Mrs Newman, who lived in Trafford Close, Stevenage, l
A WELL-LOVED school governor who touched the lives of many people has died.
Friends and family attended the funeral of Anita Newman who died aged 59 on February 3 after a three-year battle with cancer.
Mrs Newman, who lived in Trafford Close, Stevenage, leaves behind her husband Alan and 27-year-old twin sons Nicolas and Andrew.
She was a governor at her sons' school Lonsdale for 12 years and went on to be chairman of governors at the school.
Even when she resigned as chairman she continued to fundraise for the school.
She then joined the governors at Larwood School which was close to her heart and many of the children would take time to chat with her, inside and outside school.
- 1 Magpas Air Ambulance lands in Letchworth amid 'medical emergency'
- 2 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 3 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 4 Stevenage PE teacher's charity run after leg amputation
- 5 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
- 6 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 7 Summer Sand pit opens in Stevenage
- 8 'Expect delays' during week-long gas works at Stevenage roundabout
- 9 Man treated for broken jaw following Hitchin assault
- 10 Dog owner's grass seed warning after pet paralysed
Her son Nicolas said: "Anita had all the time in the world for you no matter what walk of life you came from. She was always thinking of others.
"She truly is someone that deserves the recognition of all that she has done within this community."
The funeral was held on Friday at Bunyan Baptist Church in Stevenage. Donations are going to Larwood School as Anita never got the opportunity to raise funds for the school.