Tribute to fire heroes
FAMILY and colleagues of the two firefighters who died in a tower block blaze came together last week to pay tribute to the men. Jeff Wornham, 28, and Michael Miller, 26, died when attempting to rescue resident Natalie Close, who also died, from Harrow Co
FAMILY and colleagues of the two firefighters who died in a tower block blaze came together last week to pay tribute to the men.
Jeff Wornham, 28, and Michael Miller, 26, died when attempting to rescue resident Natalie Close, who also died, from Harrow Court in Stevenage.
The private service was held on Thursday afternoon, exactly a year after the fatal fire, at Stevenage Fire Station.
The Rev John Potipher, former assistant chief fire officer, gave a service and at 3pm a two-minute silence was observed throughout Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue service.
You may also want to watch:
Before the silence an old fire bell, which was originally bought by the people of Stevenage in 1886 to celebrate Queen Victoria's golden jubilee, was sounded.
The bell has been restored by Stevenage firefighters and has been dedicated to the two heroes.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 6 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
Station commander Dave Stokes said: "The memorial service was very moving. There wasn't a dry eye in the house. They were two very brave lads."
Talking about the past year he said: "There have been ups and downs. Time is a great healer. We will never forget the two boys but the job goes on. It has not been easy. We work in a big team and we look out for each other. It has helped that we have to get on with the job.