Official switch-on of Tree of Light filled with dedications to loved ones
- Credit: Archant
Created by the East and North Hertfordshire Hospitals’ Charity, a Tree of Light filled with dedications to loved ones will be officially switched on outside the front of Lister Hospital in Stevenage at 6pm today.
The charity has created the Tree of Light for people to pay tribute to a loved one, to say thank you for care received, or even to celebrate something special.
Due to the pandemic, members of the community will not be able to attend the switch-on, but will be able to watch a live broadcast at home on the charity’s Facebook page.
One of the lights on the tree has been dedicated to Marilyn Goodhew, an inspirational senior health play specialist from Baldock, who worked for the East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, which runs Lister, for more than 25 years and sadly passed away in July.
Marilyn was hugely popular with young patients and parents, and a passionate fundraiser. She was the driving force behind the charity’s Magic of Play Appeal – a major fundraising campaign to build a state-of-the-art play area at Lister with separate rooms for teenagers and for patients with cancer and sensory needs.
You may also want to watch:
The dedication on the Tree of Light reads: “Marilyn, you were one of those people who stood out in a crowd, your humour and wisdom taught us so much, we would not be the team we are today without you. They say angels walk amongst us; you certainly were one of them. You are missed every day and your 25+ years dedication to the NHS will not be forgotten. You asked for so little, but gave so very much. You were a huge inspiration to so many. You will not be forgotten.”
Beth McNeil, head of charity at the East and North Hertfordshire Hospitals’ Charity, said: “We have had so many wonderful and heart-warming dedications to our Tree of Light. In these extraordinary times, it is lovely to see so many people paying tribute to loved ones or thanking the hospitals for care they have received.”
Dedications can be made at enhhcharity.org.uk/treeoflight where you can also opt to make a donation to the East and North Hertfordshire Hospitals’ Charity.
The Tree of Light will shine at the front of Lister Hospital until the New Year. Dedications will also be displayed on the window at the main entrance to the hospital and at enhhcharity.org.uk.
- 1 Funeral organiser fined £10,000 after more than 150 people attend
- 2 NHS Trust says vaccine figures offer hope as 40 per cent of Lister's patients have COVID-19
- 3 Abandoned car that made international headlines set to be scrapped
- 4 Police confirm investigation into alleged Morrisons spitting incident
- 5 Police attend Arlesey funeral after COVID-19 guidelines breached
- 6 Foodbank thanks public for donations as demand 'grows tremendously'
- 7 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 8 Hitchin Pride, Eat Alfresco and more - What's on in Hitchin when COVID-19 restrictions end?
- 9 Man arrested after crashing into tree and fleeing scene in Hitchin
- 10 Confirmation that Stevenage Five Guys restaurant is coming soon