Travellers return to Stevenage after Letchworth eviction
- Credit: Archant
Travellers have returned to the grounds of an empty building after being evicted from another site yesterday (Thursday).
A number of caravans were spotted parking outside the former Fujitsu bulding – owned by ex-Dragons’ Den star James Caan – on King’s Road in Stevenage at around 7pm last night.
The group – consisting of around 10 caravans as well as cars and vans – is believed to be the same party evicted from a Letchworth GC industrial unit by police earlier the same day.
Stevenage Borough Council has raised concerns about the site’s security in the past and previously requested the owner to improve security nearly six months ago.
A spokesman for Herts Police said: “We were made aware of eight caravans belonging to the travelling community arriving at the site of a disused building in Stevenage at around 6.45pm.
You may also want to watch:
“It is believed the group may have come from Letchworth Garden City. We are currently monitoring the situation and are liaising with the site’s owner, whose responsibility it is to take action in getting the travellers to leave.”
- 1 Man arrested after crashing into tree and fleeing scene in Hitchin
- 2 Letchworth Rugby Club rocked by death of two huge and well-loved stalwarts
- 3 Donations pour in for memorial garden in tribute to teacher who died from COVID-19
- 4 Police appeal for witnesses after Hitchin robbery
- 5 Station assistant among 60 employees recognised for lifesaving actions
- 6 Walk-through coronavirus test site opens in Stevenage
- 7 Elderly queue in cold as mass vaccine centre opens its doors in Stevenage
- 8 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 9 Armed police and helicopter search for man seen with firearm
- 10 'We're breaking' - Lister Hospital staff 'tearful' and 'on their knees' as COVID cases double