Transport proposals for Stevenage under the spotlight
PLANS for future transport improvements in Stevenage are going on show and residents are being asked to comment on them. Two exhibitions are being staged as part of the current consultation on the Stevenage Urban Transport Plan. They will be held in the L
PLANS for future transport improvements in Stevenage are going on show and residents are being asked to comment on them.
Two exhibitions are being staged as part of the current consultation on the Stevenage Urban Transport Plan.
They will be held in the Lewis Silkin Room at the Stevenage Arts and Leisure Centre on Wednesday, October 21 from 3 to 8pm and Saturday, October 24 from 10am to 1pm.
The aim of the consultation is to get feedback on proposed solutions to existing transport problems in Stevenage as well as plans for dealing with the impact of potential future growth. Proposals include:
You may also want to watch:
* Parking improvements
* Introducing car sharing and car club schemes
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
* Introducing incentives for a walking bus scheme
* Improving the cycle network
* Providing additional facilities for cyclists, such as improved secure storage
* Upgrading key bus stops
* Encouraging sustainable travel choices by reducing the reliance of the private car
Stuart Pile, county council executive member for highways and transport, said: "We need to hear what residents think about our plans for improving transport in Stevenage, particularly where they think money should be spent.
"I hope that lots of people come along to have a look at the exhibition and ask questions about the things that concern or interest them.
"There is a great deal of detailed information on our website and in local libraries and council offices about the consultation and our future plans. However, we appreciate that the plan is a lengthy, technical document and some people won't relish the thought of wading through all the information. We've therefore produced a questionnaire to make responding to the consultation as straightforward as possible. This can be filled in online at www.hertsdirect.org/stevenageutp or you can call Hertfordshire Highways on 0300 123 4047 for a hard copy."
The full version of the plan is available at www.hertsdirect.org/stevenageutp or else copies are on display at the Central Library in Southgate, Stevenage Old Town Library in High Street and Stevenage Borough Council, Daneshill House, Danestrete.
Hertfordshire County Council is producing the Urban Transport Plan in partnership with Stevenage Borough Council and North Hertfordshire District Council.
The consultation closes on October 30.