Zoologist travels to Burma for BBC documentary
- Credit: Archant
A zoologist has experienced the trip of a lifetime after travelling to Burma to film a BBC documentary.
Ross Piper, 37, of Aston, first became aware of the idea for Wild Burma: Nature’s Lost Kingdom last year, hoping to film areas of the country’s largely unexplored wildlife habitats.
Mr Piper, who has a PHD in insectology, said: “Getting to some of the places we visited was a mammoth operation, involving huge numbers of porters, bamboo rafts and all other conventional forms of transport. Burma is a big country, so we only really got a snapshot of its wildlife, suffice to say that we saw some incredible beasts, especially on the camera traps.”
The programme, Mr Piper’s first presenting role, was filmed in February and March of this year.
He said: “I was really just happy to have the opportunity to document some of the wildlife of this country that has been more-or-less closed off to outsiders for the best part of six decades. It’s a really fascinating part of the world so hopefully it will give viewers some real insight into this part of the world.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Piper has authored nine books on the subject of wildlife as well as a number of academic papers. Wild Burma: Nature’s Lost Kingdom begins on Friday November 29 at 9pm on BBC Two. Visit www.rosspiper.net for more information.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round