You’ve been warned - police in three counties start a week-long blitz on motorists who use their phones at the wheel
- Credit: Archant
Drivers who use a mobile phone at the wheel will be the target of a week-long operation by police in three counties which hits the road tomorrow, Monday.
Officers from the Beds, Cambs and Herts road policing unit will be primed to pull over motorists breaking the law in a blitz linked to a week-long campaign being conducted by the National Police Chiefs Council.
Driving while using a mobile phone is considered one of the ‘fatal four’ driving offences, along with speeding, not wearing a seatbelt and drink or drug driving.
The unit’s Insp Phil Bloor said: “People who use a mobile phone while driving not only put their life at risk, but the lives of others.
“Studies have shown that your reaction times are 50 per cent slower if you use a mobile phone while driving and you are four times more likely to have a collision. Comparisons have been made to it impairing your ability to drive to a similar degree as driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
You may also want to watch:
“Even careful drivers can be distracted by a call or text – and a split-second lapse in concentration could result in a crash.”
From January to the end of March this year 815 people were issued with tickets for driving while using a mobile phone across the three counties – Herts topped the table with 357, there were 168 in Beds and 290 in Cambs.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 4 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool