Witness appeal to major A1M smash
Police are appealing for witnesses to a crash on the A1M which left a 21-year-old man in hospital after his car hit the central reservation, careered across three lanes and shot up a steep embankment.
The smash took place at around 6pm last Thursday when a white van and a silver Toyota Yaris collided on the northbound carriageway between junctions 8 at Hitchin and 9 at Letchworth GC.
Two motorists came to the Yaris driver’s aid before the emergency services arrived and began a two-hour rescue operation. He was taken to Lister Hospital and later released with minor injuries.
Police received reports that the driver of the white van had been driving erratically before the collision took place.
Investigating officer Pc Jay Day said: “I am appealing to anyone who was on this stretch of the A1M around the time and either saw the collision or either of the vehicles before the collision happened to please get in contact as soon as possible.”
You may also want to watch:
If you can help, call Herts Police on the non-emergency number 101 quoting reference number 604 of 24 November, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 2 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 3 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 4 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 5 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 6 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 7 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 8 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 9 Armed Forces Day 2021: Great day promised with pop-up museum and Spitfire fly-past
- 10 Stevenage Borough Juniors crowned national champions after tense victory