Witness appeal for motorists to come forward as van driver airlifted to hospital after deer collision on B656 near Hitchin
- Credit: Archant
Two motorists are being asked to come forward after a van hit a deer and ended up in a hedge on the outskirts of Hitchin last night – with the driver airlifted to hospital with a serious head injury.
A blue Volkswagen Caddy van was travelling along London Road – close to the Sperberry Hill turning for St Ippolyts and not far from the former Greyhound pub – when it collided with a deer which had ran into the carriageway.
Police, ambulance and fire personnel were called at about 5.05pm, and the driver of the van was airlifted to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge by Magpas with a serious head injury.
It has been reported that the van was being followed by a car which wasn’t at the scene when police arrived and officers are keen to trace the driver of this vehicle, as they may have witnessed what happened.
It is also possible that the deer may have subsequently been struck by another vehicle which was reportedly travelling in the opposite direction.
Sgt Sam Cordingley from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Road Policing Unit said: “I am appealing for the drivers of these two vehicles to come forward as they may have witnessed the collision or events leading up to it. I’d also like to hear from anyone else who may have information about what happened.”
London Road was closed at the turning for Sperberry Hill and reopened at about 10.30pm.
- 1 Have your say on TK Maxx plans to move store out of town centre
- 2 Sex offender avoids jail 'by skin of his teeth' after Hitchin assault
- 3 Former Stevenage swimmer 'buzzing' to compete in Commonwealth Games
- 4 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 7 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 8 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 9 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 10 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
Anyone with information about the collision is asked to contact police on 101, quoting ISR 641 of October 17.