Water works put on hold after temporary traffic lights cause long delays on A602 between Stevenage and Hitchin
- Credit: Archant
Planned water works have been put on hold after temporary traffic lights caused long delays on the A602 between Stevenage and Hitchin today.
The lights were turned on at about 9am this morning near the junction for Whitehall Road, just as you come into Hitchin, and resulted in long queues back to the Stevenage A1(M) Junction 8 roundabout.
At midday Affinity Water, which is overseeing the works, decided to turn off the lights due to the large amount of traffic that had built up.
The work had been scheduled to start today and to be finished by next Thursday, August 25, but will now be completed at weekends instead – although the exact dates are yet to be arranged.
An Affinity Water spokeswoman said: “We are sorry for any inconvenience which was caused by planned works for an extension on our mains on the A602, Stevenage Road.
You may also want to watch:
“We are working closely with Herts Highways and we have decided that this work will now be rescheduled to weekend working hours to minimise disruption.
“Temporary traffic lights have been removed and the road is now open.”
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 6 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 7 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust