Walkern High Street blocked after lorry gets stuck
- Credit: Archant
Walkern High Street remains blocked after a lorry got stuck this afternoon.
Police were alerted at about 1.30pm after an articulated lorry for D&R Hankins got stuck while attempting to head up Winters Lane – situated next to The White Lion pub.
Specialist recovery vehicles have been requested but the High Street remains blocked at this time.
A police spokesman said the road has been closed and it is not yet clear when it will reopen.
Emma Cannon, who lives at Three Limes situated next to Winters Lane, sent in pictures to the Comet and said: “This lane is very narrow and is signed with ‘unsuitable for wide vehicles,’ however the drivers and their sat navs do not take any notice resulting in this chaos. The road is completely blocked, so no emergency vehicles are able to get through.
You may also want to watch:
“The house in the photos has belonged to the Cannon family for four generations and is a Grade II-listed building. Councillor Ken Crofton said in 2015 that he wanted to implement a new traffic system/solution for the increased size and volume of traffic using Winters Lane and Totts Lane in Walkern, but as yet no action has been taken and little resolved.”
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 4 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?