Volkswagen Passat Estate Alltrack crowned The Caravan Club Towcar of the Year 2017
- Credit: Archant
Volkswagen’s Passat Estate Alltrack lifted the overall trophy, as well as class and category wins, in The Caravan Club Towcar of the Year 2017 competition.
The contest’s 47 entrants, which were split into seven price classes and two weight categories, saw winning vehicles from Volkswagen, Citroën, Peugeot, Škoda, Mercedes-Benz and BMW. However, it was the Volkswagen Passat Estate Alltrack that took the overall victory, being described as “one of the classiest mid-range cars by a mile”.
Each towcar was thoroughly tested – being judged not only on its towing performance over the testing circuit at the Millbrook Proving Ground in Bedfordshire - but also for ‘caravanability’. This meant finding out how much holiday gear and caravan essentials each car could accommodate, how easily it can be hitched up to a caravan and the quality of towing information in its handbook. Also added to the marking equation was the towcar’s value for money.
Over four days seven judges evaluated each car for its dynamic and ergonomic qualities on a challenging test route.
Price class awards went to: the Citroën C4 Cactus Rip Curl BlueHDi 100; Peugeot 308 SW Active BlueHDi 120; Škoda Superb SE L Executive 2.0TDI 150PS; Volkswagen Golf Estate Alltrack 2.0TDI 4MOTION 150 PS; Volkswagen Passat Estate Alltrack 2.0TDI SCR 4MOTION 150 PS; Mercedes-Benz E220d AMG Line Saloon; and the BMW X5 xDrive40d M Sport.
You may also want to watch:
All-wheel-drive vehicles competed in two additional weight categories; Under 1,800kg and Over 1,800kg. The BMW X5 xDrive40d took the Over 1,800kg prize, while the Volkswagen Passat Estate Alltrack took first place in the Under 1,800kg category before going on to win the overall title.
The results of the competition were announced at The Caravan Club Towcar of the Year Awards ceremony, at the Royal Automobile Club in London on September 22. The awards were presented by Olympic athlete Roger Black MBE.
- 1 Plans for new block of flats on Matalan site gets green light
- 2 Dangerous rogue gas fitter handed suspended prison sentence
- 3 'Please just give us the COVID-19 vaccine,' pleads headteacher as schools reopen
- 4 Boxing promoter Frank Warren praises Stevenage's Lister Hospital staff after COVID-19 battle
- 5 Staff member left shaken after attempted armed robbery at village store
- 6 Body found in search for missing woman
- 7 International Women's Day: A homage to those who have inspired us this year
- 8 Woman named after pleading guilty to fly-tipping offence
- 9 Stevenage FC provides new location for Feed Up Warm Up drop-in
- 10 Missing Stevenage teen found
Grenville Chamberlain, The Caravan Club chairman, said: “It was a thrill to see such a great choice of vehicles being put through their paces during the competition – the winning manufacturers should feel very proud of their achievements. These vehicles will enable our Caravan Club members to have wonderful holidays and effortless towing experiences.”
For more information about The Caravan Club’s Towcar of the Year competition please visit www.caravanclub.co.uk/towcar