UK drivers prefer to fill up at Asda, says a new survey
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Asda is the UK’s favourite place to buy fuel, according to a new analysis that puts the major supermarket brands well ahead of dedicated petrol retailers.
Asda beat Sainsbury’s into second place by a whisker, with Morrisons third-favourite and Tesco a more distant fourth – but with the highest customer loyalty nonetheless. Research by Market Force Information questioned 3,900 UK drivers on their experiences at petrol station forecourts and averaged the data to rate each brand on a relative scale.
Key to the supermarkets’ popularity was price, says the study, with a 63 per cent price satisfaction rating for Asda compared to a meagre 15pc for BP. Some 78pc of drivers said is was important.
Shell emerged as the favourite among dedicated petrol retailers with a class victory for perceived fuel quality, ahead of Esso and then BP, putting all three fuel retailers ahead of all four supermarkets.
Cheryl Flink, chief strategy officer for Market Force Information, says: “The supermarket brands performed exceptionally well, with little differentiation in consumers’ minds between the top three.
You may also want to watch:
“As pump prices start to creep back up, our research shows just how hard the traditional petrol retailers will have to fight to win back the hearts and minds of consumers.”
For more information visit http://www.marketforce.com/en-gb
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 4 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 Drugs, weapons and cash recovered as man arrested in Beds village