Two A1(M) crashes after truck fire cause traffic chaos around Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
There was traffic chaos in and around Stevenage last night after two further crashes on the A1(M) followed an earlier truck fire.
The motorway had been shut southbound between Junction 8 and 7 for Stevenage after a truck caught alight at 3.30pm and caused fire damage to the tarmac. The vehicle was recovered by 5.30pm.
Police were then called to a three-vehicle crash on the northbound stretch near Junction 6 for Welwyn at 5.21pm which blocked one lane for 35 minutes.
A grey Volvo XC60, a silver Honda Civic and a white Ford Transit van were involved, but nobody was injured.
At 7.12pm police received reports that a black Vauxhall Corsa had collided with the central reservation while heading northbound near Junction 9 for Letchworth Gate.
You may also want to watch:
Nobody was injured and the road was clear at 7.48pm.
Traffic on major roads in around Stevenage was at a standstill at times as a result, with the roundabout for the A1(M) at Junction 8 particularly bad.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 8 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 9 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation