Balloon on wire causes rail disruption between London and Peterborough
- Credit: Archant
Rail services are expected to be cancelled, delayed or revised between London King’s Cross and Peterborough after a plastic balloon got caught in the overhead lines.
The balloon was wrapped around electric wires between London Kings Cross and Stevenage, meaning fewer trains are able to run on some lines.
The power supply has been switched off as a precaution while lines were inspected by Network Rail.
Specialist teams are now en route to the site and will need to block the line completely in order to safely remove the balloon.
One of the lines between the two stations is currently open to diesel trains.
You may also want to watch:
Disruption is expected until at least 7.45pm.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 10 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain