Trapped woman hospitalised after six-vehicle pile up on A1(M) between Letchworth and Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
A woman who had to be cut free from her car after a six vehicle crash on the A1(M) this morning (Thursday) has been taken to hospital.
Emergency services were called to the southbound carriageway of the motorway between junctions 9 for Letchworth Gate and 8 for Stevenage at around 7.45am.
Six vehicles – believed to be five cars and a van – were involved in the collision, with two lanes of the A1(M) closed.
A spokesman for the ambulance service said a woman in her 20s suffered minor injuries after being trapped in her car and had to be cut free with the help of the fire service.
The woman, who has been taken to Lister Hospital in Stevenage, has made a “miraculous escape” according to the spokesman.
You may also want to watch:
Ambulance officer Gary Sanderson, who attended the collision, added: “Six vehicles were involved in the collision and a woman was found trapped in the wreckage of a car which was extensively damaged. Paramedics worked closely with the fire service to treat and immobilise the woman before removing her from the car on a spinal board.”
Four vehicles are being recovered and motorists are being advised to avoid the area with traffic heavy in both directions.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
- 10 Do you recognise these people?
Update 10.05am: Two lanes are still closed with one vehicle yet to be recovered as specialist equipment to remove it is required.