The AA publishes a highway code for cyclists
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A dedicated highway code for cyclists, believed to be the first of its kind, has been published by the AA.
Road safety minister Andrew Jones recently told the House of Commons that the Government had “no plans to publish a cycling specific excerpt of the Highway Code”. But the AA was already planning to produce such a book.
It contains the sections of the main code which are relevant for cyclists as well as offering advice on the purchase and maintenance of bikes and the full syllabus for the national Bikeability cycle training programme.
Chris Boardman, policy adviser to British Cycling and a former Olympic gold medal winner, said: “The bicycle is such a simple tool, but one which can improve your health, reduce congestion and make our towns and cities more liveable.
“British Cycling welcomes the AA Cyclist’s Highway Code as it should encourage new cyclists and help parents get their children into cycling.”
You may also want to watch:
Carlton Reid, cycling expert and executive editor of BikeBiz magazine, was consulted on the details of the book, which he described as “practical, timely and useful”.
He said: “It’s also an indication that more and more people are taking up cycling for transport, for leisure and most definitely for pleasure.”
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 9 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
A survey of AA members found that 21 per cent ride a bike, with one in 10 saying they cycle between one and five miles each week.
Edmund King, the organisation’s president, said cyclists and drivers were “often the same people”, adding: “The Highway Code is important whether you are on two wheels or four.
“As a keen cyclist and father of three cycling children, I would urge you to check out this book. Today more than one fifth of AA members regularly cycle and this guide will encourage a new generation to join them.”
The AA Cyclist’s Highway Code costs £4.99 and is available from bookshops and online.