Teenager hospitalised after car catches fire in Stevenage roundabout crash
A TEENAGER was taken to hospital after the car she was driving collided with a roundabout and caught fire.
Emergency services were called to Martins Way in Stevenage at the junction with Canterbury Way on Saturday night after a blue Peugeot 307 collided with the roundabout.
The 18-year-old woman inside was trapped in the vehicle, which had set alight, and was helped to safety by firefighters shortly after receiving reports of a collision at 10.55pm.
The road was closed by police while water used to extinguish the fire was removed and the car was recovered. It reopened at 12.20am on Sunday morning.
Ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson, who attended the incident, said: “The firefighters at the scene did a really good job getting her out of the car quickly.
You may also want to watch:
“Paramedics treated, stabilised and immobilised her at the roadside before she was taken to the nearby Lister Hospital for further assessments, she received abdominal and lower limb injuries.”
The ambulance service was also called to two further crashes earlier on Saturday involving motorcyclists.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 3 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 9 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 10 Delta variant makes up more than half of new cases across Herts areas
The first incident occurred just before 9am in Nightingale Road, Hitchin, and a male motorcyclist was taken to Lister Hospital in Stevenage with minor injuries.
Crews were also called to Fairlands Way in Stevenage at about 10.10pm to another crash, with the man involved also conveyed to hospital with minor injuries.