Tailbacks on A1 this morning after flatbed lorry splits in two and blocks Sandy roundabout
- Credit: Archant
There are long tailbacks on the A1 this morning after a flatbed lorry split in two and blocked the Sandy roundabout.
The lorry lost its trailer shortly after 6am as it drove northbound onto the roundabout, where the A1 meets the A603 and B1042 – and police are expecting delays to continue through the morning.
Commuters took to social media to warn each other, with one user writing shortly after the incident: “Had to go over the grass on the actual roundabout to get past. That’s going to get busy soon.”
Another replied: “Thanks! That’ll make the route to Bedford fun.”
A police spokeswoman told the Comet that they had been called at 6.10am, and that the lorry was still at the scene as of 9am.
“The A1 was temporarily closed at the roundabout with the A603, and we’ve now got one lane reopened,” she said.
“We’re expecting delays for some time while recovery work is carried out.”
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with lavish launch event
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 4 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 5 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 6 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 7 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 8 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 9 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 10 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000