Tailbacks on A1 this morning after flatbed lorry splits in two and blocks Sandy roundabout
- Credit: Archant
There are long tailbacks on the A1 this morning after a flatbed lorry split in two and blocked the Sandy roundabout.
The lorry lost its trailer shortly after 6am as it drove northbound onto the roundabout, where the A1 meets the A603 and B1042 – and police are expecting delays to continue through the morning.
Commuters took to social media to warn each other, with one user writing shortly after the incident: “Had to go over the grass on the actual roundabout to get past. That’s going to get busy soon.”
Another replied: “Thanks! That’ll make the route to Bedford fun.”
A police spokeswoman told the Comet that they had been called at 6.10am, and that the lorry was still at the scene as of 9am.
You may also want to watch:
“The A1 was temporarily closed at the roundabout with the A603, and we’ve now got one lane reopened,” she said.
“We’re expecting delays for some time while recovery work is carried out.”
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 5 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 6 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 Drugs, weapons and cash recovered as man arrested in Beds village