Stevenage woman’s shock after roof is blown off
- Credit: Archant
A woman has told of her shock after her felt roof was blown off her house in the early hours of this morning (Tuesday).
Debbie Woolley, 51, of Colestrete, Stevenage, awoke to the sound of a large bang at approximately 2am and initially believed it may have been a car accident. However when she looked outside she realised the felt roof had been blown off both her and her next door neighbours’ homes.
Mrs Woolley said: “It was such a shock. I just heard this huge almighty bang and, of course, I expected to look out the window and see some kind of accident but not my own roof. It completely blocked our back doors which made it difficult to get outside.”
The felt layer of Mrs Woolley’s roof has been completely blown off, exposing the wooden boarding beneath which is sensitive to rainfall.
As a result she was forced to turn off all the main electricity in the house. At one point prior to the switch-off, her bathroom light began shooting sparks of electricity.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Woolley has arranged for temporary tarpaulin to be installed and is being advised by an electrician on when she will be able to use all available power in her house again.
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 3 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 4 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 5 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 6 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 7 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 8 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 9 Poppy Fletcher makes history by signing for Stevenage women
- 10 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home